- 1 Overview:
- 2 Dimension & Specifications:
- 3 Key Features of Concept 2 Model D:
- 4 Resistance:
- 5 PM5 performance monitor:
- 6 Great build quality and dependable:
- 7 Comfort:
- 8 Small storage space:
- 9 The ‘noise’ thing:
- 10 Shipping and assembly:
- 11 Pros and Cons of Concept 2 Model D:
- 12 Price and warranty:
- 13 Reviewing the Concept 2 Model D, My Final Words:
Whether you’re just a beginner in rowing or have been rowing for some time, and now you need a reliable rower for home use, The Concept 2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine is one of the best choices for you to get a smooth and powerful whole body workout. It’s one of the best selling indoor rowers in the whole world. In fact, it’s used by Olympic rowers to workout and you would find it in many gyms too.
The reason of Concept 2 Model D’s being this popular is it’s great to build quality, being a gym standard indoor rowing machine, having the PM5 which is one of the best workout monitor in this era and many more. But to me, it’s real time performance which surpasses it’s specification on paper. And the feedbacks from its real time consumers make it one of the top contender for best rowing machines in the market. There are many happy customers who give thousands of positive reviews online. Additionally, it comes from a brand Concept2 which is known for durability solid construction of its machine and it’s one of the best machines they’ve produced till date.
While in the higher price range, you know the old saying, “you get what you pay for, I find it pretty reasonable and a great value for money.
Dimension & Specifications:
- Length, width, height (in -use):
o 96.0 in x 24.0 in x 14.0 in (L x W x H)
o 244 cm x 61 cm x 36 cm
- Seat Height:
o 14.0 in
- Stored Dimensions:
o 25.0 in x 33.0 in x 54.0 in (L x W x H)
- Product Weight:
o 57 Pounds [26 kg]
- Space Recommended:
o 9.0 ft x 4.0 ft (L x W) for free rowing stokes
- Chain: Nickel-plated steel chain
- Maximum User Weight: 500 lb (227 kg)
Key Features of Concept 2 Model D:
- Adjustable PM5 Performance Monitor that provides accurate and detailed training feedback, Data of distance, speed, pace, calories, watts.
- Intelligent air resistance system, the harder you row, the more resistance you feel.
- Smooth seat movement
- Caster wheels make it mobile
- Great build quality
- Adjustable footrests and ergonomic handle
- Nickel plated chain
- Pre-set workouts and games
- Low profile 14-inch seat
- Folds into two pieces for easy storage
- Easy to assemble
- Accommodates users up to 500 pounds
- 5-year warranty on frame
- 2-year warranty on monitor and parts
Let’s look at Concept 2 Model D in depth:
The Concept 2 Model D Rower is an air resistance rower.
The resistance on it is created depending on air. The spinning flywheel of the machine is attached to fan blades. When you pull the handle of the rower it spins the fan blades and makes wind. And the wind then creates resistance. The more wind you can create, the harder it becomes for you to pull it. To be specific, the harder you row, the more resistance you feel.
PM5 performance monitor:
The Concept 2 Model D indoor rowing machine includes latest PM5 performance monitor which is one of the best in the market. The monitor was actually built by a fitness company. It’s simple to use but effective and loaded with options.
It provides accurate, comparable and exact data on your training feedback. It tracks distance, speed, pace, calories, and watts. you get pre-set workouts and games which is really awesome. It’s pre-set workouts got my attention. And it’s other amazing options include –
- Automatic start-up. Thus You don’t need to press any button. When you just start rowing and it will automatically switch on and start providing data.
- You can select one of the workouts from their awesome pre-set workouts.
- You can also customize a workout routine
- You can even play a game
- You can get a brief rowing lesson with animations showing you proper technique.
Great build quality and dependable:
Concept 2 model D is a well-balanced piece of machinery. As I said before, the more attractive part of this machine is it’s real-time performance more that the specifications on paper. And it’s because of its great quality. As it’s in a higher price range and the builder company of this carry a great reputation, you can expect good quality and durability from this machine. And surely it will stand up to your expectation. No parts on this rower will feel cheap to you as there are no such cheap materials like the plastic used. It comes with aluminum I-beam monorail with a stainless-steel seat track.
The frame is rock solid and you will also get a 5 years warranty with it. On average, I will rate this machine 10 out of 10 as far as build quality is concerned.
I know you wanna do some hard exercise and put some sweat out, but u will definitely prefer a comfortable sitting position which will let you concentrate on burning calories, not on comfort issues. U won’t have to do so if you are sitting on the model D rower by concept2. It has a good sitting position and the seat on the Model D is contoured and padded, which makes it comfortable for most users. Depending on your weight and duration of working out, you might wanna adjust the sit a bit. Some users mentioned that the removable seat pad available on this worked great for them.
Coming to the handle, it’s ergonomically designed and is covered with rubber grips. However, a fair amount of users and the manufacturer themselves mentioned that new users might get a few blisters on their hands for first few weeks. Dealing with this issue, some new users told that wearing a glove while working out do great.
Small storage space:
The Concept 2 Model D rower might cover the big area while you are using it, but it’s size literally cuts into the half when you take it apart for storage. To save some space, all you gotta do is separating the monorail and the top portion, rest the top portion on its head and make the monorail standing up. It’s easy as that. Many users mentioned that it took them 10-20 second to pull-apart and the same time to pull back. It’s surprising that something this durable and big can be taken apart this fast and easily and it’s turn into half of it’s actual size as well.
The ‘noise’ thing:
As it’s an ‘air-resistance’ type of rower, you can actually expect a bit of noise from it, not that much. It may seem a little noisy comparing to other resistance-type rowers. The harder you know, the more noise you will expect from it and it can be good or bad depending on your perspective on it. Some of the users mentioned that they don’t see it as a problem as they could watch television in regular volume while working out on this. Others mentioned that they had to louder the sound of television to hear it over the noise of the rower. A fair amount of users actually liked it being loud as they found it as a sign of how hard they are working out and told that it’s motivating to them.
However, it depends on the user how one looks at it, but no matter what, expect a fair amount of noise from it.
Shipping and assembly:
Coming it from a trustworthy company, customers have reported that they’ve received the product well-packaged inside a double layer box. Assembling it easy and it won’t take you more that 20-25 minutes. In fact, I will attach a video below where you will see a man assemble it up in just 3 minutes, without any rush! Unsurprisingly u will get a user manual inside that will help you assembling it. And guess what, you won’t have to look for the perfect sized wrench to assemble it as they even provide you the perfect sized wrench along with screws and washers, though u will need only eight screws and washers to put it together.
Pros and Cons of Concept 2 Model D:
- The Concept2 Model D comes from one of the most dependable companies in rowing machine industry.
- Tough and comfortable, Great materials, Solid build quality, will need minimal or zero amount of maintenance.
- The PM5 performance monitor comes with it is one of the best in this industry.
- The machine is pretty suitable for almost any user.
- The machine has a huge reputation in both online and offline. Reputation of Model D will help you to-
- Find workout tutorials and other materials as Concept2 has a dedicated online community.
- Find spare parts and service companies.
- Get a good resale value for it’s being known as a solid rowing machine. You can resale it on craigslist and you might have to loose only a small percent of it’s actual value.
- The manufacturer provides a great customer service and warranty, and a 30-Day money back guarantees as well.
- To me and many other experts, the best rowing machine on the market.
- Pretty long, almost 8 feet. Though it folds well to save your space while not using.
- Seat can be a little uncomfortable for a long workout session.
- The handle might feel little rough for first few weeks to a new user. It can be solved by wearing gloves for first few weeks.
- It’s a bit noisy for using ‘air-resistance’ technology.
Price and warranty:
Concept2 Model D is pretty reasonable and a great value for money. The price of the product can be checked here. If you still find it expensive then you gotta remember as i said, “You get what you pay for”.
Coming to warranty, you get 5 years warranty on frame and 2 years warranty on all parts. Warranty is transferable. You can sale it with the warranty to a new owner. And the warranty date will start from your purchase date.
You also get a 30-day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. Unsatisfied customers will be refunded, they’ll just have to pay the shipping cost. But make sure to check that this option is available from your retailer.
Reviewing the Concept 2 Model D, My Final Words:
I’ve used this machine a big time. Also went through the internet and gyms as well to find what people have to say about this rower. In the summary of information I gathered, I confirm it’s perfect for people from beginners to Olympian athlete. A large number of users((including me)) have owned this machine for decades and still using it with ease.
So, Using and knowing about rower from concept2, I strongly recommend Concept 2 Model D rowing machine. U will get top-notch performance, latest technology on performance monitor, a good community and a good resale value as well. That’s all I can say in one sentence about this rowing machine.
So, did you enjoy my Concept 2 Model D Rowing machine review? Let me know in the comments below. Also, feel free to ask me if you have any questions! I generally answer them within 24 hours and I am happy to do so.